Focus On Plant Sterols*
Plant sterols are fats found naturally in plant foods. They are very similar in chemical structure to the body's steroid hormones such as cholesterol, aldosterone and vitamin D. Humans are unable to manufacture them. Modern food habits, in particular the use of highly processed foods, have dramatically reduced average daily intake in the developed world.
They are useful in the management of several conditions:
- Cholesterol: Consumption of 1-3g of plant sterols a day can lower cholesterol by 15%.
- The immune system: Phytosterols have been shown to modulate both over and under active immune system
- Autoimmune conditions & allergies: Phytosterols reduce the production of histamine and its attendant symptoms. It is used in the care of patients with autoimmune conditions i.e.: type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis fibromyalgia etc.
- BPH (enlarged prostate): Phytosterol have been shown to improve urinary flow by reducing inflammation.
- They are naturally occurring in fresh fruit vegetables whole-grains, nuts/seeds and pulses supplemental plant sterols must be taken before a fat containing meal to reduce cholesterol and should be from natural sources instead of wood pulp (toxic side effects).
- Sterol117 (Nutri) is a natural product with an excellent track record.
*See www.nutri-online1.co.uk Nutri News 123