When undertaken as part of a healthy lifestyle programme Colonic Hydrotherapy
- Stimulates bile production and detoxification of the liver.
- Supports the immune system.
- Improves PH balance in the whole body.
- Provides a favourable environment for the friendly bacteria.
- Re-enforces psychological resolve towards a healthy diet.
- Improves nutrients absorption especially minerals and soluble vitamins.
- Re-educates the colon towards healthier peristalsis and more regular bowel movements.
- Often results in increased energy, advanced mental clarity, clearer skin and improved circulation.
- Safely and effectively removes and cleanses the colon of old hard waste material and harmful toxins caused by today’s lifestyle, convenience foods, stress, and pollution.
The colon large intestine or bowel is situated in the abdominal region and forms the last part of the digestive tract. The colon is involved in the absorption of water, assimilation of nutrients and minerals, as well as the synthesis of vitamins. A major part of the excretory system, the colon eliminates food residue, drugs, heavy metals and other body wastes. This is supported by the billions of friendly bacteria which inhabit the colon and make up some 40 per cent of the dry weight of our faecal matter. This internal system is easily disturbed by stress, pollution, poor diet, medications, smoking and alcohol.
Colon toxicity and bowel stasis can be the underlying cause of many commonly reported health problems.
Colonic hydrotherapy is a safe and gentle internal bath which allows warm filtered water into the colon through a small device called a Speculum. The speculum makes it possible to simultaneously bring clean water into the colon and carry waste out. The colon is alternatively filled with water and released for loose debris to be allowed to flow out. This process is carried out throughout the treatment, which lasts from 30 to 45 minutes. The result is a gentle flushing of the colon, and a loosening of old faecal debris.
Colonic irrigation effectively cleanses years of excess waste, pollutants and toxic substances. This process can also help rebalance the bowel flora by facilitating re-population of the stock of friendly bacteria.
Hygienic and odourless, the therapy is carried out in a private and relaxing environment.
The treatment will begin with your therapist taking a full case history, which will be confidential.
Your therapist will also use special massage techniques on the abdomen to stimulate the release of waste products and can also introduce herbs and/or Probiotic (friendly bacteria) implant to aid the process of detoxification and cleansing.
Unlike laxatives colonic hydrotherapy is non-habit forming and actually improves the tone of the colon.
Your therapist will advise you on how many treatments are needed, depending on the outcome of your case history and your own particular requirements. This may vary from one treatment to a series of 3 to 6 treatments over a period of 1 to 3 months. It is also often useful to continue with maintenance treatments every 6 to 12 weeks in order to maintain the benefits achieved from your initial course of treatments.
All IPCH registered therapists are trained to attend to your needs and comfort, and to use disposable tubing which ensures total safety against the possibility of inadequate sterilisation procedures and cross-contaminations.
All IPCH registered therapists can also advise you on a specific detox diet to support the colonic treatment and help you achieve better health and vitality.
Symptoms which can be alleviated by colonic hydrotherapy - as part of a healthy lifestyle programme
Constipation, Distended Abdomen, Abdominal Gas, Diarrhoea, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), Haemorrhoids, Backaches, Arthritis, Allergies, Fatigue, Headaches, Bad Breath/Halitosis, Foul Body Odour, Skin Problems, Chronic Fatigue, Breathing Difficulties, Irritability, Depression, Prostate Trouble, Difficult Weight Loss, Frequent colds, Low Blood Sugar, Insomnia, Food cravings, Menstruation Problems.
It is not generally advisable to undertake colon hydrotherapy if you have any of the following conditions:
- Recent Abdominal, Bowel or Rectum surgery (less than 12 weeks)
- Abdominal or Inguinal Hernia
- Severe/inflamed Haemorrhoids or Anal Fissure
- Anal Fistula
- Bowel or Rectal Cancer
- Hirschsprung's disease (Megacolon) and Small Intestinal Obstruction (Ileus)
- Liver, Heart and Kidney disease
- Active Inflammatory Bowel Conditions (Diverticulitis, Ulcerative Colitis and Chron's Disease)
- Spinal injury above T6 because of possible risk of Autonomic Dysreflexia
Some medications such as diuretics and steroids can be considered a risk factor and contra-indicated to colon hydrotherapy; please discuss this with your GP prior to booking a colon hydrotherapy treatment.
In addition your colon therapist may also check your blood pressure prior to your treatment.
Children under the age of 15 years of age cannot be treated without a doctor's prior consent and young people aged 15 to 18 can only be treated with a guardian present at all time.
If you have any doubt about your medical condition and contra-indications please check with your IPCH registered therapist before making an appointment.