The following are a few facts to help you deal with the Soya controversy in a more informed way.
- Soya products contain high levels of Genistein, a bio-active isoflavones which inhibits the growth and development of estradiol (oestrogenic hormone-used in HRT-) and pesticide induced breast carcinoma
- Genistein has anti-inflammatory, immuno-modulatory and anti-oxidant effects. It increases anti-oxidative enzyme activity especially in the skin and intestines
- High levels of Soya protein (above 60g/day) are not recommended in women with active breast disease as it was shown to have a oestrogen agonist effect on the diseased tissues and surroundings
- High levels of Soya proteins are also not recommended in the case of thyroid hypo-function as it is implicated in thyroid suppression in those cases. It is therefore best to use a whey based protein drink powder with clients suspected of under-active thyroid
* from: Position paper Nutri